Thursday, January 26, 2012

Prompt #2: Molly Hopkins

It is difficult for me to remember what shows or movies shaped my first ideas about gender and sexuality, but I would have to say that The Little Mermaid was one of the earliest influences on my ideas of gender and sexuality. Ariel was a very independent young girl who had dreams of her own. She wanted nothing more than to leave where she was and achieve these dreams that everyone around her told her were impossible. Ariel was determined and confident and I think that she is the earliest influence on my idea of gender and sexuality.

In about 7th grade I began watching Sex and the City. This show is another thing I can remember becoming and influence on my ideas of gender and sexuality. There is a character on this show that I believe every woman can identify with. The four women in this show, Carrie, Samantha, Miranda, and Charlotte, are incredibly independent women. Not only did these characters encourage me to be independent, but also their relationship really influenced how I view friendships among women. Their strong bond showed me that my relationship with my friends is extremely valuable and that not all women are emotional and caddy.

How I Met Your Mother is another show that still continues to influence my views of gender and sexuality. The five main characters on this show are all extremely different, but each say something really profound about the gender stereotypes. First there is Marshall, he is a tall and somewhat brawny man, but at the same time he is very emotional and caring. Then there is Ted who is a firm believer in true love and destiny. Barney is a complete player and womanizer. Robin is a very pretty woman, however she is also a very strong, independent, and rough. And the final character is Lily. Lily is a very nurturing and caring woman who seems to hold the group together. This show has characters that both mold and challenge the typical gender stereotypes. How I Met Your Mother has influenced my views of gender and sexuality by confirming and showing me that these stereotypes are not always accurate of both men and women and that I should never feel like I need to conform to them.



2 comments:

  1. I really can't talk about the Little Mermaid or Sex and the City because I haven't watched them but you do make good points about them. I really liked the part when you talked about How I Met Your Mother because I love that show and I completely agree with everything you said about it, and all of the characters are so different that it doesn't really influence me too much either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Connor on not being able to really relate that much with The Little Mermaid and Sex and the City, but you did a great job of describing how they have influenced you, which gives me an idea of what the film and TV show are like. How I Met Your Mother was also a great pick for this assignment because it is a melting pot of genders and different personalities.

    ReplyDelete