Monday, January 23, 2012

Blog #2 Sara Campbell

Hey Guys!

My favorite movie growing up was Grease. My best friend and I would watch it every weekend whenever we had a sleepover. We first started watching it when our mothers took us to see the play version that our local high school was performing when we were about 10 years old. Ever since then it was our favorite movie and even today we jokingly will revisit our childhood days and watch it.

I think that movie was kind of an eye opener to me for what I thought high school relationships would be like and how girls were supposed to act around guys and guys around girls. I don't think that I ever thought much about how it's always a guy and a girl that fall in love because that's how I was raised. To me, the fact that the movie only portrayed heterosexual relationships, didn't mean anything.

When I first watched Grease it made an initial impression that the guy should always chase after the girl and the girl should just wait for him to make a move. Basically the traditional outlook on guy and girl relationships. The boys were supposed to be the ones that put in all the effort while the girls really weren't the ones showing their feelings. The ending impression, however, made me realize that the guy doesn't always have to put in 100% of the effort to make something work. Instead of him changing, maybe its the girl that needs to change or put in a little effort of her own.

The movie definitely defined gender roles and characteristics for its time era. The guys in the movie are obsessed about cars and they all freak out when they finally get one. They spend all day cleaning and fixing it up. They were doing "manly" things. The girls, however, have a sleepover and all they do is talk about boys and do their hair and play with make up. They do all the girly things that stereotypical girls would do. So this movie kind of subconsciously told me that girls only do girly things and guys only do manly things. There isn't a middle ground that is portrayed throughout the movie.

I still love to watch the movie no matter how corny it continues to become. Originally I would say that it made some lasting impressions on me about how relationships are handled and how each gender has its own roles and characteristics it has to portray but as I have grown up I have realized the many stereotypes it contains. I don't think too much of them when I am watching the movie but I am still consciously aware that they are there.













1 comment:

  1. I grew up watching grease a ton too. I totally forgot that this was one of my influences as well. This was a really good media object to choose.

    ReplyDelete