Thursday, January 26, 2012

Prompt #2 Jonathan Vignos

As a little kid, everyone has that one movie that they are constantly watching. The one where they can watch it 24/7 and it never gets old. Mine as a little kid was Disney’s 1997 film Hercules. I watched it every day and was in total love with it. Since I was constantly watching the movie, is gave me my first sense of gender and sexuality.




My favorite character of the movie was Hercules. Hercules started off as an outcast because he didn’t fit in with the other kids. He didn’t feel normal and seemed to always screw up things. The kids didn’t seem to like him and nobody wanted to hang with him. Later on in the movie, Hercules becomes a hero that saves the day and everyone praises him. As you can see Hercules is very masculine and I noticed that as a young kid. He had the huge muscles and could break anything by punching it. He was someone I looked up to and wanted to be just like. The one thing that really stood out, which shaped my ideas about gender and sexuality, was the idea of Hercules falling in love. In the movie, Hercules falls in love with a woman named Meg. As a kid I became confused because how could a man so masculine fall in love with a woman. I clearly didn’t think it was possible to be that manly and actually have feelings. I was very young and at that age girls were still annoying to me. It all just seemed so crazy and ridiculous.


The thing I ended up taking from the movie was that maybe you can be very masculine and actually be somewhat feminine. That the idea of falling in love wasn’t just for women, but it was also for men. I saw it as that if someone that strong and manly can do it then it must be fine. It’s something that started shaping my ideas of gender and sexuality

2 comments:

  1. That's interesting. I loved Hercules when I was a kid too and definitely picked up on the masculine image, but I don't think I was smart enough at the time to grasp the whole sensitivity part. I've never really thought about it that way but that must be pretty impacting for kids, if Hercules can do it then it's okay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like your sharing even thought i have never seen thsi film before. when my brothers werer younger, i noticed that he was always annoyed by girls amd didnt want to get alomg with girls except my mom and me. I think he had trouble getthing along with female cousins as well... so what happened to you might have happenend to my younger brother. I wiould like to ask hime if i get any chance!

    ReplyDelete