Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Prompt #1 - Steven Scherer


Hello everyone,

My name is Steven Scherer and I am from Continental, Ohio. Continental is a rather small village in northwestern Ohio. In northwest Ohio, potholes are hills and river valleys are about as close as we get to mountains. I sleep less than a hundred feet from a cornfield (or soybeans, wheat, and other crops) when I am at home. Probably the worst thing about my hometown and the surrounding area is driving. Scenery: cornfields.

I attended Continental High School before coming to The Ohio State University to pursue a B.S. in Aerospace Engineering in the Honors program. After attending a high school that was less than a half mile from where I live, long campus walks at Ohio State are something I am definitely not used to. I was active in many organizations at my high school and enjoyed being a leader in some of them. As time goes on, I am slowly becoming more and more involved here at Ohio State. I attend Real Life OSU on Wednesdays and Thursdays. I'm also becoming more involved in the Design, Build, Fly group here at Ohio State.

With a major like aerospace engineering, you might be able to imagine that I am quite passionate about things such as aviation, space, and cutting-edge technology. I enjoy launching model rockets, flying remote-controlled aircraft, stargazing, watching meteor showers, and playing ultimate frisbee. In May 2010, I was lucky enough to watch the launch of Space Shuttle Atlantis for the STS-132 Mission. In the summer of 2011, I was selected for a pre-college internship at NASA's Glenn Research Center in Cleveland, Ohio.

If you ever really got to know me, you would quickly learn that slightly behind my aerospace fascinations and passions are my interests in Apple, Inc. and Starbucks. Okay, I know what you're thinking. Hipster? Freak? Fanboy? Cult follower? No. It's not the same. Unlike most Apple "fanboys," I tend to actually know what I'm talking about most of the time. I know that sounds pretty horrible or maybe downright mean, but I don't like Apple, Inc. because they are Apple, Inc. I don't like Apple, Inc. because I was a past follower of Steve Jobs. I have a deep respect for their design engineers and the crazy success of the company. I don't like everything Apple does and I don't proclaim every Starbucks drink is unrivaled (although many are). I happen to like coffee. I also happen to like espresso beverages. Coincidentally, I like Starbucks espresso beverages better than any other I've ever had. Oh, and all that money I paid for the perfect latte? It goes to one of the few companies in the world that pays for health insurance and gives pretty decent benefits to their part-time workers. I think it's well worth it, but many people don't hold the same opinion, and that's just fine with me. We are who we are. We might as well Think Different.

7 comments:

  1. I have a twin brother who was in the Honor's Aerospace Engineering program here last quarter. Did you ever happen to meet a guy by the name of Kyle Reinard?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Casey, it seems that you've not published your blog yet -- I saw your draft but I haven't seen your prompt published. (FYI in case you forgot).

      Delete
  2. I have not met him yet, but I hope I do soon! I'm trying to get to know more people in my major as I go along.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad someone else at Ohio State knows what it feels like to come from a very small town into such a big atmosphere, it seems like most people I meet here are from larger areas. I also share your enjoyment with Starbucks. However, I sadly never want to give in and spend so much money there, but next school year I'm living about three minutes from the one on High St. so I doubt I'll be able to resist it as much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Casey, I haven't seen your blog posted yet either, but I read the draft so I guess I'll just comment on it here?

    Being a second year here, I would say that you are not going to be behind by not declaring a major in the first year, I ended up switching majors at the beginning of this year and I'm still on track for everything I need. Just heed my advice, don't take Chemistry...
    I think journalism is a pretty cool major and I was thinking about minoring in it myself. Also, I wish I had been involved in band or something in high school because I've always wanted to play an instrument. It sounds like you are pretty musically inclined.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm on north campus so I've only been to Starbucks here a few times! It's so cold now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My cousin graduated from St. Louis University with a degree in aerospace engineering and he now works for Boeing in Seattle. If it wasn't for the math aerospace engineering would definitely be something I would be interested in. I'll just stick to watching what you end up building. Sounds like a plan to me.

    ReplyDelete