Monday, January 23, 2012

Prompt #2: Alex Cameron

One institution or media object that defines gender and sexuality for is the television show "Modern Family." This ABC comedy is a melting pot of gender and sexuality in our society today. It includes characters that represent masculinity, femininity, heterosexuality, and homosexuality. The characters in this television show that represent these characteristics are Jay Pritchett, Gloria Pritchett, Phil Dunphy, Claire Dunphy, Mitchell Pritchett, and Cameron Tucker. Jay Pritchett is easily the character that best represent masculinity. Although he is old and somewhat over weight, he is the stereotypical stubborn old man who still thinks he is capable of performing the manly tasks around the house that he could do when he was younger. This happens when Jay's back gives out on a trip to Hawaii and is forced to stay in a hammock. This can relate to me because my dad continues to get physically older, but still tries to keep up with me and my brothers. He ended up hurting his hip one day when he initiated a game of basketball with me and my brothers, much like how Jay throughout his back with his son. Another character that represents both sexuality and gender is Gloria. She is the definition of a high maintenance, pretty woman. She is a Latin beauty that is married to Jay and is constantly showing off her slender body throughout the show, making her a sex icon.

Phil is married to Claire and is an anomaly because he is not what most would consider being a stereotypical father. He is constantly looked down upon by Claire’s dad, Jay, because he is not a "handy" man and isn't good at fixing things around the house. He often times acts like a kid too when he is with his children. Phil's wife Claire is a stereotypical mom that holds the entire family together. She drives the kids to school in her minivan, cooks dinner every night, and helps her children with homework. I can relate to Claire's character because when I was younger my mom did all of this for me too.
The final couple in this comedy is Mitchell Pritchett and Cameron Tucker. Mitchell is Claire's gay brother that is sometimes overlooked by his father, Jay. At times it seems like Jay overlooks his son Mitchell because he is embarrassed that his son is a homosexual. Cameron is Mitchell's husband and he is a stereotypical gay man. He is very flamboyant in almost everything he does and portrays a lot of feminine characteristics. He is very affectionate and loves Disney movies. He also loves to dress up as a clown for his daughter Lily. After having seen this TV show multiple times I always ended up laughing the hardest at the scenes Cameron and Mitchell are in because they are extremely humorous.

If you haven't seen this hilarious show, you should definitely watch at least one episode.

2 comments:

  1. I really liked reading this blog because I'm a huge fan of the show and watch it religiously. All of your points about the were spot-on, and Phil is seriously one of the funniest characters on tv right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also a big fan of modern family! I love this show and totally agree about your views on all of the characters. I would have to agree that this show has influenced a lot of my views on gender and sexuality. Phil is definitely my favorite character. I think he's super funny too!

    ReplyDelete