Monday, January 9, 2012

Prompt #1: Jim McGuire



Hi I’m Jim (or Jimmy) McGuire, I am 20 years old and a sophomore here at Ohio State. I come from a small town called Middletown in south western Ohio, which is between Cincinnati and Dayton. I actually lived in a smaller township called Madison, where I attended Madison Jr./Sr. High School. It was a pretty red-neck township and it got on my nerves a lot, but I loved my high school experience and I wouldn’t trade it for anything. The town itself has less people in it than OSU, it is run down and not very nice at all. I heard once that it is in the top 10 most declining cities in the entire nation. Nothing ever exciting happens there, so when I decided to go to Ohio State for college I was extremely excited to be around such a great atmosphere with so much to offer.

After a failed attempt last school year at being a chemistry major, I decided to make a big switch to major in political science, where I'm particularly interested in world politics. I'm a bit of a political nerd to be honest, I probably watch the news more than anything else, so I think I made the right decision switching from chemistry. I feel so sorry for anyone who has to take chem here because it seriously sucks. My place on the political spectrum if anyone is interested (and I understand if you think politics is boring) is on the conservative right. Currently I'm undecided on who I want to win the republican nomination because I honestly am not that impressed with most of the candidates, but whoever wins has my vote to beat president Obama.

I'm not that much of a sports fan, though I like to watch football and basketball occasionally. It's kind of a weird interest, but I really like watching UFC fights. It's a growing sport and kind of small right now, but that is one of my favorite hobbies. Something else notable is that I’m a Christian, and I probably need to start looking for some kind of church or youth group here because I’ve put it off so far this year.

Other than that, my hobbies are just hanging out with friends and having a good time anyway we can. In high school my friends and I were always joking around with each other and pulling pranks, and thankfully that is still true here with friends at Ohio State. I’m always interested in meeting new people, and I always enjoy talking about politics and whatnot. I am extremely thankful to be a Buckeye and have been blessed to have so many opportunities available.



1 comment:

  1. I don't blame you for not continuing with your past chemistry major. It sounds like a really boring thing to study, especially compared to political science the way politics are these days. What do you find so interesting about politics?

    ReplyDelete