Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Prompt #1




         My name is Jeffrey Christopher Beach Jackson. I grew up in Terrace Park, Ohio, a town about twenty minutes away from downtown Cincinnati. 

Cincinnati, OH
Mariemont, OH

 Terrace Park is a small village with only about 2,000 people; but it feels a lot smaller. It’s a place where you know everybody and everybody knows you. There was always something to do in Terrace Park, whether it be playing football at the Green (a large green space where fairs an holiday events were held) or going down to the river (The Little Miami) that cut through our nature preserve and going off the rope swing. After elementary school at Terrace Park Elementary, I went to school in Mariemont (see picture), about five minutes out of Terrace Park. Mariemont Junior High and Mariemont High School mixed in all the kids from the three closest towns: Terrace Park, Mariemont, and Fairfax, which are all about five to ten minutes apart. Even so, our high school only had about five hundred kids and my graduating class was one of the larger ones with 128 kids. So, it’s weird to be at such a large university when all I’ve known is small schools. However, I decided to attend The Ohio State University because it’s a good school and not too far from home, but far enough. Right now, I don’t have a major (Undecided), but I will probably do something Business related when I hopefully declare my major next year. I’m currently just taking GEC’s and classes that interest me before I have to start taking major required classes. I don’t find all the college work too tedious yet, it’s easy to focus and get a lot of it done in the study rooms. I live in Mack Hall on South Campus and I love it. I’m not entirely sure why I got put in here, as it is the International Honors dorm, but oh well. When I’m not in class, I’m usually gaming with dorm mates or playing basketball at Jesse Owens South or the RPAC. I’d love to play more soccer, but the ARC is a little too far away for me to go play on a daily basis. I grew up playing soccer and it’s probably my favorite sport. Our high school team did consistently well and our senior year we won the regional championship and districts, it was an amazing run. 
Mariemont Soccer Team
Overall though, I love everything Ohio State has to offer and I’m glad I chose to come here.

3 comments:

  1. I'm also from Cincinnati! I have never heard of Terrace Park, but it seems cool. I 'll definitely have to check it out sometime! I felt the same way about playing soccer here, the ARC is too far from south to walk to everyday :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never played in high school, but I play for fun, and I play plenty of FIFA. There are buses that run to the ARC, you should look that up. And I loved high school playoffs! I never made it that far, but I know the thrill. Good luck picking a major!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never been any farther south in Ohio than Columbus, but Cincinnati looks really pretty in the pictures you provided. Especially the one of your school! It must be really different coming to such a large school when your high school was so small. I thought mine was big with 1,400 students, 350 in my graduating class, but then I hear of kids with way more than that! I also chose Ohio State because it was just far enough to be away from home, but not too far. I live in Cleveland, about 2.5 hours away. I think you should continue to pursue soccer, it sounds like you're really good at it!

    ReplyDelete