Friday, February 24, 2012

Blog Post #4 : Casey Reinard

As is probably true for most college-aged people these days, the majority of what I read is found on the internet. Whether it is Yahoo articles or Facebook notes and status updates, it is often difficult to find something to read that is not an enormous waste of time, while at the same time, is truly interesting and engaging to me.
With that said, I still thoroughly enjoy reading the notes and status updates of my close friends on Facebook, even though this usually leads to my watching videos of Ultimate Frisbee trick shots or the things to watch for in the coming NFL season. The majority of the friends I graduated from high school with either live on campus here at OSU, or go to school in Cincinnati, Dayton, Athens, or Michigan, and so I am not able to see them very often. This is when I turn to Facebook for a little bit of help. To put it plainly, I really like to know what my friends are up to. Its not that I'm worried about their being safe, or my being replaced, rather that I simply enjoy knowing what others are doing. Because of Facebook, I am easily able to talk to those friends who aren't around anymore, who moved away when I was a little kid, or who I've lost touch with, even if they don't live very far away. I am able to look at pictures from when we were the best of friends, as well as from the previous night when they went to the premier of Harry Potter, for example, and dressed up like all of the characters in the movie.
 In a way, Facebook allows me to see how each one of my friends, as well as myself, has grown over the past few years, and to see the people they are turning into. That is why Facebook is a "piece of public writing" that is significant to me. 

2 comments:

  1. Facebook is definitely a useful tool for keeping up with friends. The only thing bad about it in my experience is I always let it distract me when I have work to do

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is probably an example so obvious that nobody else thought of it. Great example, really! (Because what else is so relevant to our personal lives?)

    ReplyDelete