Monday, February 20, 2012

Blog 4 - Steven Scherer

One of my favorite public blogs is ScienceDaily. It sounds pretty geeky, but if you scan some of the headlines you can see many pieces of research that apply to your daily life. Basically, ScienceDaily is a fast-paced blog that posts updates in all areas of scientific research. From psychology to dinosaurs, Science Daily encompasses wide variety of topics; everyone can find a topic that they relate to. I enjoy reading Science Daily more than I enjoy reading the general news; the mass media news outlets tend to be so biased one way or another.

I enjoy learning about cutting-edge scientific research and engineering achievements, so Science Daily is significant to me. A lot of the research comes from studies done at other universities. Since I’m currently attending such a large university that does research, it is interesting to see what other universities are coming up with as well as what cutting-edge research is coming from Ohio State and making us proud. It’s not necessarily the cutting-edge research that is intrinsically interesting; the practical applications of the research that is published on ScienceDaily is what people should be excited about.

If you want to convince your mom that you can’t call her because you need to be sleeping, ScienceDaily can help you with that. If you want to reassure yourself that the five pounds you just gained will not turn into fifteen, ScienceDaily can help with that. Perhaps you’d like to know what really happens in your brain when you don’t remember last night; ScienceDaily can help with that too. Maybe you actually remembered Valentine’s Day this year; ScienceDaily reassures you that you’re making a good effort.

All in all, I enjoy ScienceDaily because I believe the day isn’t over until you learn something. With Science Daily at hand, I’m assured that learning something is only an article away.

2 comments:

  1. ScienceDaily sounds like a really interesting read, especially since it isn't biased like the mainstream news today. I also like what you said at the end, about how the day isn't over until you learn something. I wish more people had that mindset.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have run across Science Daily before when doing research projects for various science classes, it helps a pretty good deal. I'm fairly interested in cutting edge science as well, so maybe I'll frequent this site more often

    ReplyDelete