Thursday, February 9, 2012

Prompt #3 Jonathan Vignos

When I first found out that we could do a movie that dealt with gender and sexuality I immediately thought of the 2009 movie Bruno. This is the movie starring Sacha Baron Cohen and comes from the creators of Borat. The reason why I picked this movie is not for my liking it, it’s because it’s a movie that directly throws gender and sexuality right at the viewer’s face. It was actually a movie that had a tiny bit of humor and I could honestly barely make it through the whole movie.


If you don’t know what Bruno is about then I’ll fill you in. It’s about a gay Austrian fashion journalist named Bruno that recently has been fired from his job and is currently bringing his show to the United States. This film didn’t try to hide the gender and sexuality within it. They are constantly making things sexual and I personally think they went too far. The one part which I found really funny and works perfect for gender and sexuality is the clip of the gay wrestling match. Bruno goes down south to Arkansas where homosexuality is a complete no and people will flip about it. He starts this straight Dave’s wrestling and invites these southern people to his show. It starts off him saying a lot of straight things and the crowd going crazy in excitement. The next thing that happens is a man that he knows comes from the crowd and says he’s gay and not straight. They end up wrestling and kissing and the crowd flips. They start throwing their beers and chairs, and even try to jump into the ring to fight them.



The reason why this clip goes with gender and sexuality is because he throws homosexuality right at them and sees how they react. When I saw it, though I thought it was hilarious, it’s crazy to think how they reacted. In our times, people should be used to homosexuality or at least not getting too freaked out. If all people were like that we wouldn’t have this ridiculous movies. It's something people need to adjust to because eventually marriage will become legal and there is nothing people can do about it.

2 comments:

  1. Can't agree more. Sometimes comedies address certain gender and sexuality issues which reflect what we face in our real lives. It is interesting and important if we can learn and find those hidden messages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have mixed emotions about this movie. I totally agree in the sense that they went too far. After seeing it, I walked out of the theater pretty confused and unsure how they even allowed it into theaters. But eventually the humor of the whole thing set in, and I found it to be pretty entertaining. But i would probably never watch it again simply because the way it threw sexuality and gender ideals at the audience and I wasn't necessarily prepared for it.

    ReplyDelete