Friday, February 10, 2012

Andrew Katz Blog #3


I’d like to talk about one of my role models, a former Red Bull skier by the name of Shane McConkey. Shane started his career as a competitive ski racer, but quickly broadened his scope to extreme skiing. Shane pushed things to the limit constantly, always jumping the biggest cliffs or skiing the most difficult lines because his life mantra was essentially, if you want something, go and take it.

He revolutionized the sport of extreme skiing not only by constantly pushing things higher and further, but in other ways as well. For example, Shane incorporated the use of water skis with snow ski bindings, opening a new age of powder skiing. He also combined the sport of base-jumping with that of skiing, jumping off of cliffs unreachable by normal skiers and parachuting to the base. Eventually in 2009, Shane reached his limit in a base-jumping accident. His ski would not detach, thus altering his flight path and causing a disruption in his parachute

employment. Shane did not survive the fall, but his passion and drive live on through his many followers. His whole life attitude is the embodiment of what I strive to be. I want to live life without regrets, so I can say “Man I’m so glad I stepped out of my comfort zone and did that,” rather than saying “Shoot I really wish I had.”

Shane certainly lived his life in this manner, which is one main reason why my respect for him is undying. I know I may not be able to have the same impact Shane has had on a large group of people, however I do hope that one day I can teach my kids how much better life can be without regrets. Of course there are limits, ones that Shane constantly toed and eventually broke through, however I feel that is the most rewarding way to live life.

1 comment:

  1. It’s terrible to see accidents like that occur with those types of events. Though he had a crash, its inspiring to see someone face all the fears and just go for it. I can totally agree when he says if you want something, go and take it. It’s something everyone needs to realize and needs to do it.

    ReplyDelete