Monday, February 20, 2012

Blog #4: Matthew York

For me, public writing has been a pretty even mix of print and internet. As a high school student, I would sit and eat breakfast before going to school and I would usually read the newspaper. I also found myself flipping on the TV to see what had happened in the world the night before. One piece of public writing that I have always founds very interesting is ESPN. For me, sports are very important and sporting news is a way for me to stay current on everything going on. ESPN not only has a website, but also hosts several news channels on TV. These include ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN Deportes, ESPNU, and several others. ESPN is very appealing to me because for the most part,they tend to stay away from biases and stick to the facts when it comes to sports. ESPN hosts an array of programs on their different channels. The broadcast everything from basketball to bowling, which is appealing to someone like me who enjoys a wide variety of sports.

Very recently, ESPN has been in the news, but not for good reasons. They are in hot water after an ESPN writer posted an article about Asian-American basketball player entitled "Chink on the Armor". The writer was immediately fired and ESPN has been on the defensive ever since. In recent years, ESPN has also been speculated as being bias towards specific teams and players. They've been known to focus on large-market teams like the Los Angeles Lakers and New York Yankees.

In general, I feel that ESPN does a spectacular job when it comes to reporting news from the sports world. It appeals to me because I have always had a love for sports, I played 3 in high school and still play intramural games here at OSU. When I was a kid, I always wanted to be Stuart Scott, who is a reported for ESPN and covers a wide range of sports and activities for the network. It was always my dream to become a reporter that specialized in baseball and travel around the United States, watching games and analyzing the players. I set a goal for myself that I would watch a baseball game in every major league ballpark in America before I die. ESPN has struck an interest in sports that I will continue to have. It has allowed me to stay updated in the sports world and has provided entertainment for a lifetime.

2 comments:

  1. Although I am not very interested in sports, I see ESPN a lot on TV. There are many ESPN channels with many different sports. I enjoy watching football games and also other things such as cheerleading or basketball on ESPN from time to time. Like you said, it seems very unbiased which makes it interesting to watch. I can see how ESPN has created such an interest in sports for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Lauren I not a big fan of sports and can't really relate to what your saying but this does seem interesting

    ReplyDelete