Thursday, February 23, 2012

Jimmy McGuire-Prompt #4





My example of public writing is probably a very cliche one, in that my favorite book series is the Harry Potter series. These books are what originally made me interested in reading in general, because before I was introduced to them I actually despised reading. When I was in fourth grade, my class started reading the first book, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, and from there I was hooked. I actually ended up reading ahead of the class, and by the time they were done reading the first book, I was already done with the second book.

The books contain so much appealing content that it is hard to express in words why I liked them so much. I assume what made Harry Potter so appealing was the vast amount of imagination intertwined in the author's world (J.K. Rowling). She imagined a world that was so unique and so appealing to the reader's imagination that I just could not put the books down. If you are unaware of what Harry Potter is about (and I find that hard to believe given the amount of popularity it has in both the books and movies), simply put it is a world of magic. Wizards and witches and many other magical creatures of fiction inhabit the world, and Harry is a wizard who is learning his art in a magical school. He is also the main protagonist in fighting the evil wizard Voldemort.
The movie interpretations are decent, and they have made a ton of money, but they just do not have the same luster that the books have. There is a lack of detail and a lack of the reader's own imagination in the movies. That's where the books really succeed for me; The world is so intriguing and so different from anything else, and it makes you wish you were apart of that world.

Needless to say, I have read all seven of the books, and they got better with each successive title. I often re-read them during summers when I have more free time, and it always takes me back to my childhood when I first experienced the magic of Harry Potter, no pun intended. The only thing that I wish is that J.K. Rowling would continue to publish more books, but sadly the saga is complete.

2 comments:

  1. So many of my friends appreciate the Harry Potter series. Personally, I could never get into them. I tried reading once and I just couldn't get hooked on them.

    Nevertheless, the series has been quite influential in American culture and is a great example!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never attempted reading this book series because like you, I used to not like reading, and even though I like reading now, other books such as "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" and "The Hunger Games" have occupied my time.

    ReplyDelete