Monday, February 20, 2012

Davis Haug Prompt #4

Since the day I was born I have always loved sports. I was born into a very athletic family with my sister playing Division I college soccer at the University of Southern California (USC) and my dad playing on the PGA Tour. Following in their footsteps, I played at a high level of hockey ever since I was four years old. Since then, my dream has always been to play in the National Hockey League (NHL). However, this past year, reality struck me and my playing career came to a stall. As much of a disappointment this was, I knew what I wanted to do with my life instead and didn’t let this set me back, but used it as a catalyst to propel me forward.



Ever since I was in middle school I have always wanted to be a sports agent if my playing career didn’t work out. With that being said, a piece of public writing that I enjoy reading and that is extremely important and significant to me is the Sports Agent Blog. I read this blog every day, as well as do research on the industry. When the word “Sports Agent” comes up, many people do not know what it is. A sports agent is a person who helps out and negotiates contracts and endorsements for athletes and entertainers. They typically receive between 4 and 10 percent of what the playing contract is worth, and 10 to 20 percent of what the endorsement contract is worth. Nevertheless, the Sports Agent Blog is a blog written by Darren Heiter who is a Professor at Indiana University and a former sports agent.





The Sports Agent Blog is very significant and important to me, because it talks about current news in the industry and is used as a learning tool for young aspiring agents like me. The front page tells of the top headlines for that day as well as teaching tactics. On one of the tabs, it has numerous interviews posted on it from other successful agents talking about what the industry is like and what you need to do in order to break into the industry. Most of these interviews tell how hard a job this is and that you need determination and heart in order to succeed. There is never a day that is the same in this industry and you are basically on your phone 24/7. Also, it has every agency that is known listed on it and tells you the ones that offer internships for college students.



With all this being said, when I am reading public articles or blogs, I am looking ones that will help me out in my life, instead of ones that just waste your time. The Sports Agent Blog is definitely one of the best blogs that I have ever found and read that gives me advice and insight into my dream future job.

2 comments:

  1. I think being a sports agent would be really cool, and I'm sure that the blog really helps you out with understanding how the system works and the ins and the outs of the job. I'm not really into blogs that much but that could change because it sounds like some can be really helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also have thought about being a sports agent. From what i know about sports agents it seems like it would be a tough industry to start out in but over time can definitely pay off. Im sure the sports agent blog really helps you out with getting past the rough beginnings of a sports agents life. Seems like you are very focused and dont waste your time with what you read which is very good.

    ReplyDelete