Monday, February 6, 2012

Prompt 3: Jeffrey Jackson

The last movie I went to see was Immortals directed by the same people who made 300. The film loosely followed the Greek myth of Theseus and the Minotaur and the Titanomachy (Battle between the Titans and the Olympians). Right after seeing this flick I questioned why I spent my $10 to buy a ticket, I hated the film. It was too over the top and too unrealistic, even for mythology. The producers and directors took a Greek myth and adapted it into today’s film standards and the fusion of the two just didn’t create a very good story. The plot was rushed and nothing at all like the actual myth of Theseus or the Titans. The movie gave you little to no background knowledge of Theseus and/or the Titans and I can bet that many people with no knowledge of Greek mythology will unfortunately think and then base the rest of mythology on a poorly produced movie that takes basic principles and then exaggerates them and over sensationalizes everything. However, the film just came out recently, and it will more likely than not be successful (it actually made a profit of $8.4 mil.) because of the public’s desire for films that are mostly action, blood, and violence; something that Immortals has more than enough of. It’s a shame that a story like that of Theseus and/or the Titans is reduced to little to no actual moral 
The Olympians (as seen in Immortals)
messages and just presented as action and fights scenes. 
Today, moviegoers needs for violence over quality storyline is what sells and therefore Hollywood will keep producing such movies. Unfortunately, violence out shined quality in Immortals, and it’s sad to see such a terrific story get reduced to just fight scenes because of the opportunity for movie makers to make a buck.

2 comments:

  1. I love this. I hate the quality of movies Hollywood is creating. It's bullshit. They produce poor plots with over the top effects, thinking that no one cares. How does Hollywood expect people not to pirate films, but expect to keep making profits with this crap? I haven't seen the film, but I'm sure it's just like Percy Jackson and the newest Clash of the Titans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have much knowledge of Greek mythology nor have I seen any movies about it, but Immortal sounds like a typical disappointing movie of today. It seems like most movies are made this way today and none of them are educational or factual. It's sad that they would make a movie based on history when it isn't even accurate. I know if I was going to see a movie based on Greek mythology or some other historical event and was presented with something completely different I would be upset as well.

    ReplyDelete