Monday, February 20, 2012

Prompt #4- Jordan Wamer

Hello friends. I frequently visit a website called reddit. It's a wonderful place, filled with a wide range of information that almost anyone can enjoy. Reddit is a site where users can submit content, whether it'd be an article from another site, a picture, or a "self" post. Users can “upvote” or “downvote” content based on whether they like it or not. This content can then be discussed in the "comments" sections. Pretty basic, right? It is! Anyone can sign up to be a part of reddit, it’s free! Even those users who don’t want to post content can still lurk without signing up. Reddit is composed of "subreddits", which contain more specific content. There are endless subreddits, any user can create one. The more popular ones are r/pics, r/gaming, r/funny, r/worldnews, and r/todayilearned. The main reason I frequent reddit is for the humor. Reddit is a place with many sides, one side being humor. r/funny is one of the largest subreddits, and even content submitted under r/pics or r/videos can still be humorous. If you ever want a quick laugh you can probably find one on reddit.
Reddit prides itself on finding original content; pictures, videos and stories that haven’t been seen elsewhere. This is part of reddit’s popularity. Reddit is a great place to keep up to date with the latest news. I get all of my news from reddit, from sports to politics. If something is relevant it will be talked about on reddit. Sadly enough, reddit can also be consuming. I have lost many friends to reddit (okay, not literally). It is a very entertaining website that truly never ends; unique user content is posted every second. I’ve found myself losing hours of sleep surfing through mounds and mounds of information to find something interesting. So before you blame me for showing you this ultimate time waster, you’ve been warned.

2 comments:

  1. This must be a really interesting site since both you and Jeffery in our group both wrote about it. I have yet to visit reddit but it seems like it would just be another distraction to get addicted to, and I already have plenty of those to keep me from doing my homework/studying. Also, I asked in the other post too, is this a site that just anyone can post anything or does someone review the post first, to make sure its factual if its about news or something? I feel like there could be a lot of false information posted if it's just a free for all type of site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also wrote my blog on reddit, great site. I don't really have much to say, you basically said everything I said in my blog. I can highlight the fact that it is extremely time consuming and addictive. As I said in my blog, I only really go on Facebook and reddit, out of all the websites out their, I really on use reddit which kind of blows my mind. But to Rachel's question, there are moderators who view submissions, but it's really the community who votes on whether something is good or bad. The false information is usually deleted, but mostly just buried by the true information, no one wants to read a bunch of fake stuff.

    ReplyDelete