Friday, February 10, 2012

Chanel Lambert Blog #3



I wasn't really sure what to write about, so I will talk about my favorite book series now becoming a movie. The Hunger Games are a series of three books that are being turned into a movie coming out this March.

My roommate recommended the books and I read them over winter break. I don't want to spoil anything, but basically there is a love triangle between Gale, Peeta, and Katniss. I get so frustrated with situations like this! Don't you hate when the girl is dumb and likes the wrong guy? I found myself battling back and forth between the two male characters. Does the girl choose the strong and passionate friend or the caring and supportive crush?

I noticed that throughout this entire series that Katniss's survival is based on her dependency for the guys. Even in a story when the girl is supposed to be the heroine and self-reliant, she ends up relying on the companionship of another to bring her through. Katniss is a strong character, but her survival is based on her relationship with the guys. Gale provides and takes care of her family while Peeta takes care of her when she is weak. Both of the characters are only trying to help her, but they way she needs them makes her seem helpless. Katniss has dealt with a lot of hard stuff and personally think she deserves someone who cares for her with her best interest in mind. It is just frustrating to see that she can't do it on her own.

I can't really complain too much because I happen to love the story even though the love triangle is annoying. I hope everyone goes to see it when it comes out!