Monday, February 20, 2012

Prompt #4 Chanel Lambert



I am not an avid reader, but when I do read it is usually involves magazines or blogs (typical of people my age). I usually read material that is satirical or entertainment reading because it makes fun of those crazy Republicans or because I can read it without having to worry whether or not it will be on the next midterm.
I especially love the column in Glamour magazine called, “Hey! It’s Ok”. (shown left) It is basically a list and explanation of ten faddish things that people, more specifically women, do today that may seem weird, but everyone does anyway. My favorite is this past issue where it says “(It’s okay) to pretend to text message to get out of talking with that person standing next to you. It’s called communi-faking, and we all do it”. This is so true! Everyone does it, especially in the dorm elevators where you have that awkward minute of silence waiting for your floor when you “text someone” to avoid awkward elevator conversation. This type of reading is applicable to those quirky behaviors we all do, but are too embarrassed to own up to. I also find it appealing to read because the article is light and funny. No one wants to read an autobiographical essay after having finished a three hour chem lab.
The other thing I love reading is “The Onion”. It’s a satirical news website that mocks society for everything. They spoof everyone and everything; no one is safe. This “fake news” style of reading is really entertaining, although it does take a little more thought than a silly magazine article. If you don’t know what happened in the real news than you won’t find the blog funny. This sort of weeds out the idiots who feel the need to comment on topics they know nothing about. I feel that this type of writing is important especially when people are losing interest in politics and current events. This is an entertaining way to reward people for reading the actual news. Although it sometimes leads to confusion of what happened during real events, I think, like with everything, people need to be careful in what they believe and always make sure the facts are coming from a reliable source.

1 comment:

  1. I'll be honest I've done that pretend to text thing plenty of times, it works! Also, I agree reading fake news is usually much more entertaining to read than real news.

    ReplyDelete