Monday, March 5, 2012

Prompt #5-Connor Cross

Freshman Composition has been very helpful to me and has made me an overall better writer. The part of the class that helped me the most was the class where we went over how to improve thesis statements. The thesis statement is the most important part of a paper, and the lesson showed me how to make them more specific and better spoken. I thought it was really cool how I could email my teacher my thesis statement and he could send me back his thoughts on it before I actually put it in my paper. I also liked how Tory didn’t make the class really boring because on the first day of class I thought it was going to be the slowest class of the year, but it turned out to be alright.

The secondary source analysis assignment we did also helped teach me how to better incorporate sources into my papers, and how to use them to get a point across. I know that if I can write an 8-page essay on sexuality that appears in a Disney movie then I can write about anything. The feedback we received on all of our writing from our peers and teacher was also very beneficial to becoming a better writer. Another assignment that was helpful to me was the commonplace essay, which helped me improve on writing from a biased perspective. I actually enjoyed writing that paper because we could pick whatever topic we wanted. I also thought the commonplace essay was interesting because you were able to read other essays written by your peers and compare them with your own. I had also never written a memo about someone else’s paper before this class, and I actually had fun writing a whole letter telling the author what they need to improve on. Overall, I’m happy with this class and I’m glad I took it.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you on how Tory did a good job of make this class entertaining because I was also worried that this class would drag on since it seems so long on paper. I also agree with you on how if we can write an 8 page paper on sexuality in animated films then we can write about anything. I too am also glad I took this class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with everything that you said. I especially like how the class was structured. I was also surprised at how interesting the class ended up being, because I also thought that it was going to drag on. Tory did a really good job with making a boring, required class more interesting for the students. Overall I am happy with the class as well.

    ReplyDelete