Monday, March 5, 2012

Davis Haug--Prompt #5

I feel that this course has been very beneficial to me in many ways. Whenever I sign up for a Writing/English course, I never know what to expect. Some of them are extremely boring and then sometimes I get lucky, and the course is actually interesting and I look forward to attending. This course was interesting in my opinion. Although I feel I am a good writer already, I believe that this course has made me an even better writer.

First off, I really liked how Tory made this class interesting and fun. He didn’t make it boring and could be pretty funny at times. Also, Ifelt that he was very helpful. Whenever I needed help with anything, I would either email him or talk to him, and he would tell me exactly what I needed to do. For example, I emailed him my thesis statement, and he emailed me back within a day and told me what I could do to make it better. It is great to have a teacher that is willing to do that.

Secondly, I feel that the Secondary Analysis Paper was the assignment that was the most helpful in advancing my writing. This assignment really made me think outside of the box, especially dealing with the theme, gender and sexuality, which was not the easiest. It forced me to incorporate a previous paper into this one with the intention of making it better and longer. If I was able to write a 7-8 page paper on gender and sexuality, I feel I’ll be able to write on anything, and it will most likely be better.

The blog was also something I enjoyed. It was not stressful, and I was able to write my opinion on different topics. It was a great extra assignment, because on weeks that I wasn’t working on the paper, I was still keeping my writing skills and brain active for this class.

Lastly, my favorite part of the class was probably writing the Commonplace essay. It let me write about any topic that I wanted and feltinterested in. For the most part, I did not have to write the essay in a certain way. I was able to write in my own way, which is what I am best at.

Overall, I really enjoyed this class and felt like it definitely made me a better writer, and will help me out in the long run. It was a great opportunity.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that Tory was a very interesting teacher, and it was impressive how much he could help with even the tougher of our problems. Also, I liked how he talked a lot about this life; it made me feel like we really knew him. I think the blog wasn't stressful at all, too. Overall, I think this class was very helpful, and I am glad I was a part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with a lot of what you said. Tory was for sure a really entertaining, helpful, and overall a good teacher. I wish all my teachers were as helpful as he was. I also liked the commonplace essay for the same reasons you gave. I feel like everyone in the class really enjoyed it and was not expecting a topic for the class like we had. Im very lucky to have had this topic because some of my friends english 110.01 topics were a lot more boring and generic.

    ReplyDelete