Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Blog Prompt #5 Jonathan Vignos

When I first walked into the class I was completely
dreading it. I am not a big fan of reading and writing and I thought this would
be the worst class ever. It is something that doesn’t sound fun to me and I
would rather find myself doing math then reading or writing. Now looking back on the class, I have completely enjoyed my time in this class. Even though I have learned many different things, such as people who wear crocs are mental, I have learned a lot about writing and how to improve my papers.

Though I have learned a great deal of things about writing,
there are two things that really stand out to me. The first thing that I
learned was when analyzing a video you can use The Method to help yourself.
When I first was observing the clips, I wasn’t really looking at the details
that much. I would notice the basics and that was it. After a while, I started
to look for repetitions, strands, binaries and anomalies. It’s something that I
have started doing even while watching any TV show or movie. This has helped me be more observant and read between the lines, instead of just looking at the basic things. Though we have only have observed and wrote about clips, this idea will help me when I need to observe other things and need to talk about them.

The next thing I learned, which I find the most
beneficial thing, is improving my thesis statements. This is really important
to me because a thesis statement can make or break your paper. Before the class I used to just write down a thesis and if it sounded good to me then I would use it. It’s something that would either work or completely fail for me. My writing of thesis statements has improved because I know how to look to see if I answer the questions of what, how, and why. This has completely improved my writing and it something that will help me throughout my whole writing career.

Lastly, I just wanted to say thank you Tory for
creating a class that I really enjoyed and am glad I was able to have you. You
made me thoroughly enjoy my time and actually enjoy writing, which is the first time I have ever said this. You managed to teach me a lot and actually make me laugh the whole time. Best of luck in your future and thank you.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree that I had a good time in a class that I did not think I would enjoy. Also, I think that the book provided a new way to look at material that I normally would not have used.

    ReplyDelete