Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Blog Post #5 - Casey Reinard

    All throughout high school, English class tends to be considered by most as the mandatory and least enjoyable class. I fell under the category of students who saw English class this way. I never wanted to go, and once I was sitting at my desk, all I could do was watch the clock tick away as class dragged on. However, I have to say that I did not feel this way about English 110.01 in the least. In fact, I felt almost the exact opposite way. Between the subject of "Gender and Sexuality Studies in Animated Film" and Tory teaching the class, I thoroughly enjoyed this freshman GEC course.
    When Tory introduced the topic of Gender and Sexuality Studies in Animated Film, I honestly didn't know what to expect, but I figured it would at least be interesting, and definitely different than what I am used to learning about in English class. For me, English class throughout high school consisted of composing a research paper, reading a book or two that had some significance to the history of America, and then a seemingly-unnecessarily review of elementary grammar. This was not the case at all, though, as Tory guided us through the "art" of dissecting classic cartoons, mainly from Disney, to truly understand what said cartoon's animators and creators want people to learn. These so-called "lessons" from cartoon creators include the projection of stereotypes into the innocent minds of young kids and teens.
    Lastly, I feel the need to say "thank you" to Tory, for making English 110.01, a stereotypically boring and unnecessary class, a fantastic learning experience and enjoyable class to be in. He was able to stay on topic and teach us more than what was expected of him, all the while creating a fun and joking atmosphere that was conducive to learning.

2 comments:

  1. I agree: I definitely fell under the "I'm so bored" category in high school English classes. The English classes I ended up enjoying I look back and realize that I really learned nothing in them; they were a joke. But this, this was different. It was good to have a central theme that wasn't classical literature or grammar for once!

    Good luck in your future, Casey.

    Best,
    Steven

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was also pleased with how this class turned out; it wasn't boring at all and the atmosphere Tory created was enjoyable and kept the class from being dull. I learned a good deal about writing analytically, which is more than what I expected from the course.

    ReplyDelete