Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Blog #5 - Jordan Wamer


When I signed up for English 110 it was more of a sigh of relief. I never got around to taking it my first year, and kind of resented having to sign up. That all changed within the first few weeks. This wasn't a class that took an overbearing amount of work or concentration, but it did help my writing skills. I liked the combination of free writing and writing with a purpose. The Primary and Secondary source papers were both very good assignments. I feel like my writing skills improved from completing that. The biggest benefit was my creative thinking skills. I had to look past the obvious messages of a cartoon while looking for the not-so-obvious subliminal messages.



I've dabbled with blogs before, but it's nice to have to update it constantly. It feels good to put your opinion and thoughts out there. It’s not very often that people listen to what I say, so for those who have read it, I thank you. I also enjoyed the Commonplace assignment, the concept of students editing students work is fun. The class topic was unique, I enjoyed writing about something that I wouldn't have addressed else wise. It also made me look more into what I see on TV, looking for subliminal messages in cartoons and other media sources TOO.



This was my first class that wasn't in a large lecture hall. I really enjoyed the smaller class, discussion was much easier. I'd also like to thank Tory. He kept the class interesting, and unlike most professors I've had, would give you the time of day to talk about your work. He was also very good at contacting me back when needed. He also kept me very entertained with his fashion rants.


2 comments:

  1. I have to agree with everything you said. I liked the assignments we had, both the free writing and the writing with a purpose. The primary source and secondary source papers were a challenge for me because they made me think outside of what I've always been used to writing. Even though we were assigned to read each others blogs, I liked your entries and I also like that we get to share our opinions with other classmates through here and on Commonplace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also agree with everything that was said. The assignments were thought provoking while still enhancing your writing mechanics. The papers were not your typical essay, but in a good way. It did require you too look at your subject material closer and really analyze on a deeper level. The blogs were good way to share our opinions and get to know our classmates a little better while still being relevant to class.

    ReplyDelete