Monday, March 5, 2012

Prompt #5: Lauren Schneider

Usually I do not like English classes at all, however this English class has been pretty easy and interesting for me. Going into my first college English class, I was worried I would be writing papers every week and stressing out. However, this class was very different from how I thought it would be. I definitely enjoyed it more than I thought I would!

In this class, the learning and teaching environment was very different from how it was at my high school. I was used to writing papers on books that we had read, and the research paper set up was also not the same. I feel like this class allowed me to learn how to write on my own without tons of directions and formats to follow. The class was not about little grammar mistakes and sentences, but more about the ideas within the papers.

This class has allowed me to feel like I have grown in my writing since high school and I am more confident with what I am doing. There was not a lot of reading for this class, which I also liked. The class environment was very comfortable to be in and helped me to focus more on writing.

My favorite part of the class was this blog. I have never written a blog before, but I found it to be fun and easy to do. I liked reading other classmate’s blogs and commenting on them as well! It is interesting to read what other classmate’s beliefs and thoughts are. Another part of the class that I liked was writing the analysis about an animated film clip that portrayed sexual or gender stereotypes. Many of the films that we talked about in class, I had never really thought about having sexual or gender stereotypes but after taking this class it is has opened my eyes to see what is really there.

Overall, this class was not stressful at all and I really enjoyed being able to take it!

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree with everything you're saying. I felt the same way coming out of high school and going into your first college English class. However, this class changed my thought process completely and I enjoyed it as well! The blog was also a bonus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coming into this class, we had very similar mindsets. I wasn't very excited about having to take another English course and writing papers wasn't something I was very interested in doing. However, I found this class to be much more interesting than first expected. I appreciated the fact that we took so many different approaches to composing our writing pieces and we were able to take the role of not only the writer but also the peer reviewer. I am glad that you feel you have developed as a writer and I wish you luck at OSU.

    ReplyDelete