Monday, March 5, 2012

Prompt #5 - Garrett Cutting

As for me in high school, I really did not like English classes. Whenver I had to take an English class, it meant that I had to read a book, or part of one, and write a paper about it. I did not like reading books that I had no clue or interest in. In college, though, it was different. I really did not mind taking this class because I got to do a lot of things on my own, like pick what I wanted to write about. That was good for me because I always think that if you don't mind doing something, you'll do better at it. Also, having in class time to work on assignments was a big help, as well. In addition, having an interesting teacher who had a lot of good stories helped with the long class time.


My favorite paper that we had to write for this class was probably the Secondary Source Integration. Even though it was pretty long, I felt like it wasn't that bad to write, and it was a nice challenge to incorporate secondary sources into your Primary Source Analysis and have it flow. I thought that writing a paper about a clip on a Disney film was a cool idea for a paper, and having to analyze it was something new for me and a good experience. Also, I think the blog idea worked out well for the class because I had never done one before, and it got me interested in blogs. Finally, I really enjoyed our Commonplace essay as well. How we got to write about anything we wanted was nice, and trying to appeal to other people our age was a good variety. Overall, this class was a lot better than my high school classes, and it was a good experience.

2 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you are talking about when you describe your high school English classes. I was the same way. I did not like to reads books and write papers on them that I have no interest in. It is extremely boring. This class was far different than they typical English class. We got to do everything on our own time basically. Also, I really liked how Tory taught the class. He was very interesting and funny which made the class go by quick. However, I can not say the Secondary Source Integration was my favorite paper but it was a great experience. It made you think and helped me become a better writer. Just like you said, I really enjoyed this class, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you on what you said about high school english classes. I can remember multiple days where i was sitting in english class thinking "this is so boring. why am I here?". But like you college english class was a lot more enjoyable and i am glad i had tory as my teacher. I enjoyed writing the secondary source paper as well but my favorite was the commonplace essay. The freedom to write about anything you wanted in this class was great.

    ReplyDelete