Monday, March 5, 2012

Blog 5: Jeffrey Jackson


English 110.01 has been one of the more interesting and fun classes of my Winter Quarter. I've learned a lot about the courses main topic, Gender and Sexuality in American Cartoons while also learning a lot about writing in general. At the beginning of the quarter, I wasn’t entirely sure what this class would be like and if it’d be interesting. However, we started watching Disney clips and right there I was pretty excited.  We must’ve watched the Gaston clip
from Beauty and the Beast at least ten times and I could repeat the entire song that day. Then, when we began to really analyze the clip, it got really interesting all the themes and topics hidden in the clip itself. I would’ve never thought about how Gaston could be seen as womanly when he talks about decorating or when he dances with Lefou. I thought those were just funny bits in the movie, but they were really also deeper themes of sexuality and gender in the movie. Then we explored gender and sexuality in other movies, like The Little Mermaid and Mulan. It blew my mind all the hints and subtle ideas in these Disney movies that are primarily targeted towards children who don’t even know anything about sexuality and gender. Also, thanks to Commonplace, I learned so much more about persuasive/argumentative writing. 
There is a lot that goes into successfully writing an essay that is interesting to your reader and also getting your point across with solid evidence. I’m going to try to make my own writing more timely, relevant, and compelling because it really does make reading and writing more interesting. Lastly, Tory has been a great teacher. He is always available to help and he conveys the course material in interesting manner. I got the feeling that he actually cares about the topics he teaches and it made this English class much more enjoyable. English 110.01 was a great class!

2 comments:

  1. I was also surprised and shocked to learn about all of the hidden messages in Disney films! I've seen youtube videos on Disney sumbliminal messages, but those are nothing like the ones we all discovered through our writing. It really was an interesting topic to work on and it was a challenge for me to write a large paper on it, but it definitely helped me to improve my writing skills. Also, I also enjoyed learning about effective writing skills from Commonplace, and I plan on making my writing in the future more timely, relevant and compelling for other courses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was also shocked by all the subliminal messages in cartoons. It struck me more that Disney, a well liked company, would put in so many hidden messages, some that weren't positive. I also enjoyed the Commonplace assignment, you get to participate in more than one part of the writing process.

    ReplyDelete