Monday, March 5, 2012

Prompt #5 Chanel Lambert

Winter quarter was somewhat of a blur between the stress and frustration of my math and chemistry classes; I am definitely not used to moving through subjects this quickly. However, I did enjoy this course because of its interesting topic and modern viewpoints. Gender and
Sexuality in Cartoons was definitely not in my understanding of your typical English
class as I came from a Catholic high school which thrived on its boring focus
of scripture and ancient writings. I found this course to be relevant and I am
grateful to discuss a controversial topic that wasn't really significant in my high school. I judge people every day which is influenced by bias and stereotypes. The concept of the way we judge
people was broken down and analyzed in a way that made it understandable.
The majority of the class was focused on analysis and in-depth focus. I loved watching all of the Disney clips even though Gaston’s song is engraved in my brain forever. I really appreciated
the way we broke down our ideas and formed outlines based on the clips. This
helped me add structure to my writing and organize my thoughts in a logical way
without being too formulaic making my papers boring and predictable to read. I
also appreciated the amount of time we devoted to improving the way we think
about thesis statements. Thesis statements are the key to any good paper and I had
always struggled in writing them. This class really improved my approach to
analytical writing and the way I structure my papers.
Lastly I liked how modern the course was; I am used to generic English courses focused on classic authors that paved the way for our modern views. We kept our topics relevant. It also
helped that Tory was a younger teacher who made modern references and kept
things funny and upbeat. i also liked the blog which was a way for everyone in the class to connect and share ideas. I only have to take two English courses here at Ohio
State and I am glad that I took this one!

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you that Gaston's song is probably still stuck in my head we watched it so many times! This was a good relevant class that was kept interesting throughout the quarter.

    ReplyDelete