Monday, March 5, 2012

Blog #5 Sara Campbell

English 110 is a requirement for pretty much all freshman. With the word "requirement" attached to it, I wasn't expecting to particularly enjoy the class. Now that the quarter is almost over and exams are coming up I can look back at the class and all that I have written in it and change my mind about my initial expectations.

English 110 turned out to be one of my favorite classes I took this quarter. The theme for the class surprised me because I had never thought about it before. It forced me to analyze something that I had never blinked an eye about and it has opened my eyes to see more than what is just directly in front of you. I learned many things in this class that I will still use even after the class is over. For one, whenever I watch something new, I try to figure out the subliminal message that they are trying to express. It makes whatever I am watching almost more entertaining. Secondly I learned to leave behind my comfort-zone of the standard five paragraph paper. Now I feel comfortable writing whatever I need to write and I don't focus on making it five paragraphs. Instead, I focus on getting my point across and saying what I need to say.

I think that the reason this class was so great, was because a lot of the classes I am taking this quarter and even this year, are larger classes with upwards of 200 students. Having a smaller class where the teacher is personable and easy to talk to makes a big difference. I think that Tory really made the class entertaining and easy going because he was straight forward and funny. He made time for us if we needed him and he was really good a responding to emails. Overall, I was surprised by how much I ended up liking the class and I really appreciate all that Tory taught me to improve my writing skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment